The Trump administration has restored the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program after a federal judge in Brooklyn ordered the immigration policy to be reinstated on Friday.
“The ruling is a huge victory for people who have been waiting to apply for DACA for the first time,” Veronica Garcia, Staff Attorney at the Immigrant Legal Resource Center said in a statement. ”[The] decision to suspend the program was just another attempt by the Trump administration to wield its extremely racist and anti-immigrant views and policies.”
It’s been three years since President Donald Trump attempted to cut DACA — a notable program enacted in 2012 by President Obama that allows undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children to remain in the country without facing the threat of deportation.
After being blocked from fully rescinding the program by the Supreme Court earlier this summer, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced it will not accept new applications for the initiative.
On Monday, DHS said it will begin accepting first-time DACA applications again after U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis reaffirmed his November decision to keep the program in its original format and declared acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf’s new rules as invalid.
The roughly 800,000 individuals who have enrolled in the program since its inception are commonly referred to as DREAMers and are not offered citizenship through the initiative.
DACA recipients contribute to society by maintaining education and job requirements that boost the economy. The Trump administration argued that DACA defies federal policies by sending mixed signals on which immigration laws the DHS should enforce.